Sunday, October 12, 2008

Iridescence Workshop: Day 2


There's not as much to talk about today, just that I am very inspired and wanting to try out a few different ideas on my own. We continued weaving today and I finished my green-yellow green-yellow plaid with every other color. What I am wanting to do is weave some iridescent yardage in maybe a deep blue and brown together and then sew a dress from it. (we'll see how soon that happens...)

But we did learn one lesson: all of us who were using table looms (like the one in the picture) have sworn we'll never use one again. Take my advice, they're not worth the trouble and the weaving takes twice as long as on a floor loom. Everyone using a table loom had some sort of tension problem.


I did find a neat flicker account that had a ton of iridescent pictures that were both natural and unnatural sources. This ball was my favorite.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm really inspired by the pictures. Such a simple idea to use a different colour weft (?) to get that nice depth of colour. Kinda like Thai silk right? I might try some small scale experiments of my own...

Christy said...

Exactly, just like Thai silk and dupioni silk. Except we were doing it with cotton, much less luster in the fiber, but it still works.