Thursday, August 14, 2008

guatemalan weaving


I have several projects in the process, and no pictures of them, so I thought I'd post one of my favorite summer tops to wear. It's a very simple tunic that I made 3-4 years ago when I thought I didn't need patterns (haha). Needless to say, it's very poorly made and I only just got around to serging the seams last winter.
But it's my favorite summer top because of the material.
There used to be a shop in Westport called Central American Textile Company which had amazing stuff. Unfortunately, there's not many people around like me who go crazy for handwoven stuff, and she closed. But I splurged and got this material. It's handwoven ikat cloth in white and gray with blue vertical stripes and areas of green and orange. It's actually pretty subdued colors compared to most Central American cloth. It's extremely soft and comfy. I have a gored skirt out of it too, but that is for church or special occasion wear only. I'd love to buy more similar fabric, but I'd have to save up first--it was 3 yards for $70 on discount.
On the bright side, one of my friends visited Panama last winter and brought me back some stuff that she paid a whopping $10 for: a handwoven table runner, a mola, and a little embroidered dress "for my first born child". Maybe I just need a plane ticket to Guatemala...

2 comments:

Gracie G. said...

Wow! That's very expensive fabric! I like your top. I like sewing without patterns. That's how I do most of my sewing. Honestly, patterns intimidate me, but I'm trying to get over that because I think I need patterns to do good work. But I still think it's awesome when someone can put something together without a pattern or with a pattern they have made. I'm going to go look for that book (or any book) by Sherwood Smith tonight!

Have a lovely weekend. :)

Jennifer said...

Oh, I loved that shop! I think the owner (Jane?) is still selling her wares, somewhere...

I have a bag from that shop, which I love and inappropriately covet. It has loops of jute woven into it--nice textures.