Thursday, September 4, 2008

kimono challenge



I have three used Japanese kimonos that I bought on impulse 4 years ago. Needless to say, I've never actually worn them or done anything with them. Two of them have nice patterns on the fabric but are scratchy, the third one is soft silk and very pretty. Someone suggested that I use them to make something else from the fabric. For some reason I'm not getting inspired though. So I thought I'd post on here and see if anyone has any suggestions for what to make from them. I'm mainly concerned with the silky one. It's a short kimono, and only comes to the hips, so not as much material as the other ones. Any ideas?

5 comments:

Gracie G. said...

That fabric is beautiful! I see why everyone raves about japanese fabric and craft patterns.

I would personally be afraid to cut into something so pretty, but I bet it would make either a really pretty bag, quilt, or skirt. Or apron. But I think the fabric is too nice to be made into an apron.

I can't wait to see what you use it for!

Mortadella said...

One difficult thing about making things out of kimono, is that the standard fabric width is 15" (or thereabouts). There is a blog called, "kimono reincarnate" and that lady sometimes features clothing items made from kimono.

I think a nice top with a slight cowl neck could be very nice from that fabric. Alternately, you could make eye pillows and fill them with lavender and buckwheat, and even give a few as gifts.

Thanks for asking our opinion. =) I have a few kimono myself that I keep thinking I will make something from, but only ever ended up wearing once on halloween.

Christy said...

Grace, I agree, I'm too afraid to cut into it before I have a fail-proof idea. (I have an awful track record of wrecking good fabric.)

Mortadella, thanks for the tip on that blog, I've already found 4-5 ideas I could use! She has great suggestions for any kind of fabric. I'm seriously thinking about the room screens...

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I'm glad to see you've discovered my site :) Actually, I'm planning on starting a Flickr group as well, that will make it easier for people to get inspiration rather than having to go through all my posts. I use kimono fabric for everything from clothes, toys, jewellery, bags and basically, anything that uses fabric. Have fun!

lsaspacey said...

I could see them as cuffs on pillowcases and perhaps the top detail on a coordinating flat sheet, as long as this is one of the non-scratchy kimonos, of course!