Monday, September 22, 2008

Renaissance Festival


Every fall, one of my favorite weekends is when my dance group performs at the Kansas City Renaissance Festival. This year we had gorgeous weather and a great time dancing. These pictures were all taken at the last performance on the second day, so we don't look as bouncy as we normally are. (Most everyone's feet and legs were pretty sore by then.)


I thought this one was a good shot of my costume. (I'm dancing with the guy in black.) I made my vest and embroidered on it, and my head scarf is an old woven shibori experiment of mine. The skirt I borrowed from someone because it matched so well, and my shirt is actually from the Gap. Obviously one of the funnest parts of doing this is having an excuse to dress up. Because our group is on the performers list for Scottish weekend, we are required to dress in peasant garb. (not that anyone minds doing it)


I caught the birds of prey show in between performances and got this picture of the cutest little screech owl. He wasn't nervous like the other big birds were around crowds of people. He just sat there looking around at everyone, calm as can be.


We've had so much rain the past couple of weeks that all the hay bales had sprouted and this one had mushrooms growing out of it. I took the picture early in the morning before all the patrons were let in, so the background looks so nice and peaceful.

I also bought a wooden bow and arrows set from a really nice Christian guy who makes them for a living. I'll be sure to post some pictures of it when I get a chance to practice.

I would like to note that although I really enjoy going to Renfest, there are a lot of not-so-great things about it. The majority of the people involved in running it are lost souls and therefore there is quite a lot of distasteful content. Improper exposure is the most noticeable, but most of the shows have adult content in them and there are plenty of evil influences amidst the whole thing. I personally just ignore these things when there, but if I did not have the reason of my dance group going, I probably would not attend it. It makes me very sad that such a neat way of living history (although not very accurate) is so very corrupted to be distasteful. People like Rod from the bow shop give me hope that there are at least some Godly influences there.

2 comments:

:: VEGA :: said...

thank you for sharing... love the pictures! - it looks so cheerful.

Christy said...

One of the things I've had to work on over the years: smiling and dancing at the same time. (when I'm concentrating, I frown)