Thursday, September 11, 2008

Needle Felting




At the Kansas City Weaver's Guild meeting today we had a mini-workshop about needle felting. If you've ever done regular wet felting before, this is quite different. You're using very small amounts of wool to "paint" a picture onto a wool/fabric background. The felting is done by stabbing special barbed needles repeatedly through both layers to attach them together. You have to have foam underneath it to cushion the stabbing motion. It's really easy and pretty fast. The action of punching the needle in and out is officially called "needling", but we decided it was funner to call it "stabbing" and say things like, "This stabbing is so therapeutic."

It was fun to do, but I don't see myself doing anymore of it anytime soon. I hate to say this, but I don't really know what you would use it for except to make cutesy pictures on stuff, which.... is not my cup of tea. You can use a similar technique to make little felted animals though, and that would be fun to make with or for children.

The pictures are of me using my fancy needle felting tool (with 5 needles in it), my friend Becky using a single needle on her project, and my finished flower. I think I'm going to sew it into an eyeglasses case for my grandma. She loves putting flowers on everything she wears.

1 comment:

Gracie G. said...

looks like fun! Your flower came otu pretty. It would be a fun thing to try, but I agree, I'm not sure what I would use it for if I had to keep it for myself.