Thursday, July 10, 2008

a daring endeavor... or just stupid

I have come to a realization. Several that are connected actually.

1. I am obsessed with sewing clothes, and there is no stopping me.

2. I am slightly less obsessed with aquiring as many hobbies as possible. (but these aren't just any old hobby, they all have a theme...)


3. I am becoming increasingly interested in all kinds of traditional folk dance. (this being one of the more dominant hobbies.)

Conclusion: It seems that all my adventure novel reading
when I was a kid has really had quite an influence on me. All of my interests are related to "adventure". I put that in quotes because it means different things to different people. Example: I told my husband the name of my blog and he said something to the effect of, "so you're going to make gortex fashion for climbing Mount Everest?" Adventure means something different to him, at least his first reaction to the word.

Some thoughts on "adventure": To me it's a very multifaceted concept. Anything people do in adventure novels, including, but not limited to: any type of travel (hiking, boating, flying, riding horses, etc.), exploring, being outside in general (city or rural), working hard at something unusual (ex: gardening, blacksmithing, building something, etc.), dancing, hunting, archery, sword fighting, being brave in general. I have a feeling this list is not comprehensive at all, so any more additions would be welcome.

Now that I've sort of given my definition, I must say that for me personally I want to be dressed for adventure -- whether or not I'm actually going to b
e doing anything exciting. And I have noticed in my clothes making that I'm moving more and more to a certain style that is both influenced by classic/adventure literature and ethnic construction and decoration--but still not completely ridiculous to wear nowadays. (some people might disagree on that, hehe.) Oh, and I'm also in love with folk dance costumes!

So, the purpose of this blog is to consciously document my influences, projects, hobbies, and general train of thought. And to see if I'm alone in my strangeness, or there are other adventure-novel-reading-and-fashion-influenced peo
ple out there.

Disclaimer: I don't think of myself as one of those people who goes to things such as anime conventions or any type of dress up convention for that matter, or civil war reinactments, or renaissance festival obsessed people, etc. But, I have done every one of those things at least once, and I'm not saying they're ridiculous, I'm just saying those people were a little too intense for me. I'm not obsessed with one specific thing that I spend every waking moment thinking about. No offense if you are one, I know those people have a lot of fun.

So here is a picture of a shirt I wove 2 years ago. It's wool and cotton and it was a blast to weave because I just switched colors whenever I felt like it, and it came out so well. It's my favorite thing to wear in the winter.

1 comment:

Letitia - The Fashion Editor said...

christy,
i know a special someone that heard about you on wikstenmade and would love if you could work with her on some sewing..i hope you get this comment! please email me at letitiarodriguez at gmail.com as soon as you get this..if you are busy, maybe you know someone :)
xoxo