Tuesday, July 15, 2008

pleated peasanty dress


Here is a dress that I really enjoy wearing, it was a
vogue pattern that seemed more on the unusual side. It's a piece of cake to construct, all except for the pleating across the neckline--it took me forever.

The left picture is the first version I made, which is out of a super soft knit. While it's quite comfortable and flowy, the pleating was almost impossible to do nicely and it clings to the body so much, that wearing a tank top under it is needed, but looks silly. Also, the sleeves were too short, not coming all the way to my wrists. After several bouts of chucking that one at the wall during construction (because of the combination of knit fabric and my old sewing machine), I finally finished it, and promptly forgot about it. Now it's a pretty nice night gown.

About six months later I tried the same pattern with a linen/rayon blend fabric that I love. It was much easier to do the pleating, I used the half sleeves instead of the long ones, and I extended the hem slightly. This fabric gave a little more structure to the full sleeves and sashed skirt, which I like. It reminds me of a peasanty look. I also like it because it's an all seasons dress, cool enough for warmer weather, but substantial enough for cooler. It would definitely work well with leggings or pants under it. It falls into my category of dresses you can run around in, but it still could work at a semi-casual occasion.

Lesson learned: stay away from knit unless you know how to use it.

ps-I just found my old bow and arrows in my parents garage! Time to go get in some practice...

5 comments:

Kelly said...

GORGEOUS! Are both dresses made from knit? I've had that pattern stowed away for sometime, but don't remember it calling for knits. I love the drape that these have, however - both are really, really stunning.

Found you through Wiksten; I simply love your work.

Unknown said...

found your link through wikensten made....you are ridiculously talented!!!! love the brown with slight folds dress..plus your block printing!
nancy

Christy said...

The brown one is knit, the blue one is a linen blend. That's why the drape is so different.
(thanks for the compliments!)

Anonymous said...

Christy,
I love the blue peasant dress. It is indeed much improved over the brown one. Can you share the pattern number? I'd love to make one for myself for the fall.

Thanks!

Christy said...

Heather, it's Vogue 8411. I hope you enjoy making it. Once you get past the pleats, it's a breeze!